Here in the South we have some great mythological creatures: Mothman, The Skunk Ape, and the Rougarou. However, there is one beast that the South cannot cannot claim: The Jackalope. The Jackalope is generally associated with states in the western United States, with Douglas, WY being the official capital.
The Jackalope is a true American tradition and the original taxidermy gaffe or "fake". A man named Douglas Herrick is considered the father of the Jackalope, as he put deer antlers on a taxidermist rabbit as a lark and created thunder in a bottle.
Something about the Jackalope mix that just works. Its equal parts mysterious and silly.
Now when you create an imaginary animal there is a huge opportunity to fill in the back story. Over the years people have added bits to the Jackalope lore.
Here are the cold hard facts:
- Jacklopes can be produced by cross breeding and Jack rabbit and an antelope.
- Jackalopes can perfectly imitate the English language, which they use to trick humans.
- Jackalope milk is an aphrodisiac and cures baldness. Jackalopes sleep on their backs and can be milked while sleeping.
- Jackalopes can only mate when lighting flashes.
- Jackalopes love to drink whiskey, luckily when they are drunk they will mistakenly try to catch bullets in their teeth, making it much easier to kill them.
|Whistlestop Diner in Juliette, GA (Restaurant from Fried Green Tomatoes)|
Curiously, shortly after this picture was taken someone decided to paint him blue.
Still looks good...............
Fortunately for me, a friend from work found out about my obsession with Jackalopes (just one thing in a long list of obsessions) and offered to help me get my own. She took me to an old barn that belonged to her family, where a Jackalope was nailed to the wall. He was a little dusty, and his ears where a little shriveled, but he was still a thing of beauty. She let me keep it, free of charge
Also, thank to the kindness of others, thanks to my friend Mary I am permitted to hunt Jackalopes in Douglas, WY.
The only restriction is that it is only valid on June 31st.
Please feel free to email me at email@example.com
And don't forget to check out my Flickr Photostream